Our client is a state-wide Government agency within the Transport sector who operate across NSW. They work supporting road maintenance and construction projects.
The Senior Environment & Sustainability Officer role provides expert advice and assistance to Transport staff and contractors on a range of environmental management, compliance, planning and assessment requirements for Transport activities to support compliance to organisational environmental and sustainability frameworks, achieve required Government environmental outcomes and meet the expectations of the community of NSW.
It works as part of an embedded project team supporting the Parramatta Light Rail Stage 2 project develop its Environmental Impact Statement.
Key Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the NSW regulatory framework.
- Demonstrated ability to monitor and evaluate environmental performance and experience in providing constructive advice and guidance.
- Sound knowledge and experience in the identification, assessment and effective management, minimisation or avoidance of environmental and sustainability impacts and risks.
- Appropriate tertiary qualifications environmental science, environmental planning, environmental management or related discipline.
- Promote high quality and consistent environmental impact assessment, environmental management and sustainability of the Parramatta Light Rail Stage 2 project in accordance with relevant legislation, systems and processes and best practice. In particular experience in reviewing EIS documents from the perspective of the project team and providing feedback to the environmental consultant, with a sound understanding of the technical issues involved in EIS preparation - air quality, noise, water, etc. The candidate should have an appreciation of the community experience in all phases of EIS preparation.
- Work as part of an embedded team to promote the consistent application of environmental legislation, environmental policy and procedures to ensure environment and sustainability principles are implemented across all projects, programs and operations.
- Identify environmental risks and issues for the project, and interdependencies across multiple programs of work, and make informed recommendations
- Provide advice and assist in the development and implementation of practical and effective environmental and sustainability strategies, guidelines, policies and procedures to support the management and resolution of environmental matters.
- Provide advice to project teams on environmental and sustainability responsibilities and where necessary identify training needs and deliver environmental education to assist compliance with legislative requirements.
- Undertake site inspections and assist with environmental audits in accordance with agency policies and procedures to promote continuous improvement in environmental performance and compliance with regulatory, contractual and system requirements.
- Evaluate the performance by coordinating the collection and analysis of data and reporting to assist and support project managers, staff and contractor organisations improve environment and sustainability performance.
- Influence, lead and or participate in multidisciplinary project teams (including external contractors) in the early identification and management of environmental risks and issues to facilitate the achievement of best practice and risk minimisation.
- Approximately 5-10 years' experience in preparing environmental assessment, ideally experience on large infrastructure projects
- Working with strong autonomy and motivation to contribute to project milestones, while being resourceful, with the capability to resolve day to day issues, escalating when all options have been exhausted.
- Having attention to detail, particularly quality issues within a large document
- Assisting the Environment & Sustainability Manager to manage consultants to program and cost. Maintaining spreadsheets and managing program from a detailed perspective, with oversight from senior leadership (Environment & Sustainability Manager)
- Experience liaising with Government agencies and the regulator (DPE) - establishing meetings, providing correspondence and technical documents where required.
The following Background checks will default in Beeline at the offer stage
• 2 x Successful Reference checks (mandatory)
• Right to work in Australia (mandatory)
• Code of Conduct accepted (mandatory)
• Emailed candidates proof of ID to Contractor Central to share with TfNSW
• Obtained candidates consent to share their proof of ID with TfNSW
** All candidates submitted must be fully Vaccinated against Covid 19. **
To discuss in confidentiality, please contact Will Gardner on 0435935377 or email firstname.lastname@example.org