- 7month contract opportunity with NSW State Government
- $900 per day + super
- Role commencing 30th August
- Located in Sydney's CBD but the client is open to having the role be remote for the right candidate. that can be based anywhere in Australia
Our client is the primary environmental regulator for New South Wales. They partner with businesses, the federal government, and the community to on matters related to energy and climate chnage.
Primary purpose of the role
The Principal Policy Officer manages and leads a team in the development and delivery of policy projects to achieve the Government’s planning system objectives. The role also prepares and provides high-level policy advice regarding current and emerging statutory planning issues to guide policy development.
- Develop effective policy; respond to the Government and Minister’s policy directions; lead or coordinate the development of strategic policy, and develop legislative and regulatory reforms.
- Partner with senior managers across all divisions of the department to understand the contemporary and emerging internal context for assigned areas of policy responsibility, including emerging scientific research and knowledge, operational, on-the-ground realities, and existing programs and initiatives.
- Research and scan the external operating context to understand the social and economic forces interacting with operational activities and policy frameworks, and understand the evolving external political and policy context.
- Engage with Executive, ministerial staff and senior line and central agency staff to understand and respond to the Government’s and the Minister’s policy directions and to steward policies through the processes of Cabinet and Parliament.
- Coordinate and implement policy development projects and work with senior management to understand and reconcile the complex policy interdependencies and interactions across the departments interests.
- Prepare strategic and clear policy advice based on appropriate factual evidence and research, and a comprehensive understanding of the departments legislative and strategic policy framework.
- Research best practice policy and evaluation design; and assist to strengthen the strategic policy and evaluation capability of the division and the agency.
- Conduct performance evaluations or reviews of policies
- Eligibility work full-time in Australia
- A STRONG background in policy, minimum 5+ years experience
- Experience in analysing complex issues and providing innovative solutions
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Relevant experience in climate change, energy policy and/or energy markets.
- Proven ability to solve problems creatively.
- Strong familiarity with project management software tools, methodologies, and best practices.
- Proven ability to complete projects according to outlined scope, budget, and timeline.
- Experience seeing projects through the full life cycle. Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and extremely resourceful.