The primary purpose of the role is to provide client focused technical, engineering and design leadership to ensure the Fast Rail (FR) team in ROM is an intelligent client that achieves customer and regional development outcomes by driving appropriate technical, engineering, design and asset management outcomes for the program.
The role ensures that technical, engineering and design activities for the project meet the Fast Rail strategy’s customer needs, regional development and business requirements within scope, quality, safety assurance, time and cost constraints, as well as regulatory, TfNSW asset management framework and accreditation requirements.
As senior leader within the Division, the role provides strategic leadership to sustain the team as a high performing, integrated team, contributing to the creation of a positive organisational culture.
- Drive the achievement of required technical, engineering and design outcomes for the Program and set the client’s technical and design requirements while providing direction and advice to ensure product and technical requirements and assurance provisions are understood and met.
- Lead the review of all engineering and design documentation to identify issues and facilitate technical solutions that meet program requirements and commitments for customer outcomes.
- Lead the timely preparation of designs through all required stages of development, including suitable design documents to meet product specifications, asset management and budget requirements, and to support planning, preparation, award and construction timeframes.
- Lead the program’s technical and engineering assurance framework, systems engineering and compliance processes for all technical requirements to ensure all performance aspects of the contract are met.
- Direct a team of engineering and design resources and participate on tender evaluation committees in relation to service providers, providing input and assistance in the preparation of technical tender and contract documents.
- Lead the management and performance of technical services of providers to ensure all design and engineering work meets customer needs as well as business requirements including scope, quality, and safety assurance and ensures value for money for whole of life of the asset.
- Contribute and provide advice to support the establishment of an appropriate engineering competency framework, in alignment with the enterprise Technical Capability framework, for design and engineering resources, and ensure that engineering decisions across the program are made by competent staff.
- Provide professional leadership to the internal design management team and to the design contractors to ensure timelines are met and costs are within budget for the design, construction and ongoing operations of the program
- Demonstrated experience with and understanding of the legislation, policy, business processes and practices involved in planning for and delivering major rail projects.
- Demonstrated experience with and understanding of engineering management processes and practices that fulfil Asset Standards Authority - Authorised Engineering Organisation requirements
- Demonstrated experience in the leadership and management of technical experts and delivery of technical outcomes in a complex project environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of the current transport systems and operations across NSW and an ability to integrate new systems of service delivery into existing services, assets and infrastructure
- Relevant tertiary qualifications or equivalent experience in engineering, built environment or transport infrastructure related fields
- The role is identified as a Rail Safety Worker (RSW)